What a year it has been! During this year I experienced a reduction in workforce in the public schools. Both of my parents had major surgery. My family moved across the state and thankfully we are closer to my parents. I am employed again, working 9-10 hour days, and commuting two hours each day.
If you’re wondering why you haven’t seen me around here, it’s because of these things. Sometimes in life it’s just best to step back from a few things so that you can survive and/or put first the things that are most important to you.
Through all of these things I can still find reason to give thanks. I am blessed. I believe that God honors an attitude of gratitude.
Here are some of things I am thankful for (in no particular order):
1. My husband. Like every couple, we fight and argue. He loves the Lord and is a wonderful father to our children. With God on our side, we’ll make it through many more years together.
2. My kids. They are both healthy, smart, and love Jesus. What more could a parent want?
3. My parents. They taught me to be kind, considerate of others, to help those in need, and to love God.
4. My health. I am so very thankful that I have the strength to complete my job each day and care for my family.
5. My family. I am blessed with a brother, cousins, aunt, uncles, in-laws, and grandparents.
6. My friends. I have a few really true and loyal friends in my life. They are the ones that you can talk to about anything and they will be there to steer you in the right direction or just to listen.
7. My Savior. Some people don’t understand why I talk about the Lord so much. It is because of the joy that comes from serving Him. It really is hard to explain. You don’t understand it until you’ve experienced it.
8. My job. I know I commute and it is not ideal, but I do have a job. I spent months this summer looking for a job and it really helps one to appreciate employment.
9. A place to live and food to eat.
10. Freedom. Though our country has it’s faults, it’s still a pretty great place to live. I am thankful for the freedoms I have.
If you are struggling with finding reason to give thanks or simply want more information on having an attitude of gratitude, check out this message from Pastor Steven Furtick of Elevation Church.
What are you thankful for?
“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
image sraburton from sxc.hu