If you’re like me, then several of your recipes are simply inspirations from things you have read or from other recipes. Such is the case with this chicken enchilada chili. Last week, I was visiting 5 Dollar Dinners and came across Erin’s recipe for this dish. It sounded good and definitely worth trying. I decided to modify it according to my family’s taste. Also, my husband and I enjoy having leftover chili and soups to use for lunches so I wanted to make the recipe go further.
- 1 cup of homemade or store bought beef broth (.25, super double coupon sale)
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste (.39)
- 3 tbsp of taco seasoning (.15, on sale plus coupon)
- 1 tbsp of chili powder (.05)
- 1/2 diced onion (.10)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (.10)
- 1 15 oz can of red kidney beans, drained (.69)
- 2 15 oz cans of black beans, drained (1.38)
- 1 12 can of tomatoes with green chilies (.35, one sale and used .50 coupon)
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes (.55, stockpile price)
- 3-4 cups of cooked and shredded chicken from the freezer (.50, on sale for .19/lb)
- sour cream (.75)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (.20, buy 1 get 1 free plus coupon)
- tortilla chips (1.00)
- In a large 5 quart pot, wisk together the beef broth, tomato paste, and about 6 oz (one tomato paste can) of water. Add diced onions and minced garlic. Stir in taco seasoning and chili powder.
- Add 2 cans of black beans, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can tomatoes with green chilies, and 1 can of crushed tomatoes (I just put my diced tomatoes in the food processor). Stir and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken. Cover, and simmer for 15-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until warm throughout.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
The total cost of this dish was around $6.50, but we ate it for a few days which helped us to save money on work lunches. This dish made about 9-10 bowls of chili.
When I make this dish again, I will probably add one can of drained corn.
You can use less chicken. I made ours with a lot of chicken and it was so good.
When I make this recipe again, I hope to freeze some into lunch portions.
We enjoyed this recipe and it will definitely go in my recipe book to use during these upcoming months.