August 11, 2010

Money Saving Tip: Always Compare Prices

When shopping for groceries, normally you would think that store brand groceries would be a lot less expensive.  This is not always the case.  It is always important to compare prices and I’ll show you why.

The White House brand 6-pack of applesauce is $1.76.

The Wal-Mart or Great Value brand 6-pack of applesauce is $1.92.  That’s about 8% more than a major leading brand.

Here we have some examples of yogurt.

The Dannon 32 oz container of yogurt is $1.96.

The Yoplait 32 oz container of yogurt is $2.14.

And the 32 oz container of Wal-Mart yogurt is $2.28, which more than any of the other two leading brands!

Many people assume that the generic/store brand will be less expensive than other brands and so they automatically grab the store brand products.  As you can see here, store brands are not always cheaper.  And I have to tell you folks, these are just two examples.  I have seen many other products done this way.

If you’re a coupon user, you can get the leading brands for even less money when you use your coupons.  I frequently receive coupons for $.50 off the large Yoplait yogurt.  You can’t get coupons for store brands, which means there’s even less savings.

Today a friend of mine posted a facebook link to this story, Wal-Mart Quietly Raises Prices.  Honestly, I had originally planned to title this article, “Watch for Rising Prices at Walmart” but decided to make this more of a money saving tip about comparing prices, no matter where you shop.  I will say though that I have done less and less grocery shopping at Wal-Mart during the past year.  It is so much cheaper for me to shop the grocery store sales for items that our family frequently uses.  I also try to stock up during triple coupon and super double coupon sales.

Have you found store brands to be more expensive than other brands?

Karen

Comments

6 Responses to “Money Saving Tip: Always Compare Prices”
  1. 1
    Sarah Bird says:

I have also found at Walmart that when you buy bulk items (such as cheese) that it is not always cheaper than buying the same amount in smaller bags. The bag of shredded cheddar cheese that has 8 cups was $7.76 and the bags that had 4 cups each were $3.50 each so $7 for 8 cups.

2. 2
    The Thrifty Mommy
    Twitter: thriftymommy
    says:

Yes, you really have to watch the price of each unit. The problem is, the stores make it difficult to do this because many times they’re not in equal comparisons. Sometimes they will say $.74 per ounce on one item and then $1.25 each on a similar item.

3. 3
    Elizabeth
    Twitter: Table4Five
    says:

It really surprised me, the last time I shopped for groceries at Walmart, how high the prices seemed to be. I used to count on saving at least $.25-$.50 cents per item over my regular grocery store (Meijer). That’s not the case any more.

4. 4
    Michelle Gartner
    Twitter: oneofakindwis
    says:

We shop at Wal-Mart so we have noticed the same, and the above commenter is right- sometimes the bulk is more expensive which makes absolutely no sense to me. I wish I had time for coupons again, but I hardly have time in the day anymore and it always seems that the coupons I get don’t make for a better deal. Great post Karen.

5. 5
    The Thrifty Mommy
    Twitter: thriftymommy
    says:

Michelle, I don’t do as much couponing as I used to. I mainly save my coupons for triple coupon and super double coupon sales at Harris Teeter. Then I make several trips that week (there is a 20 coupon limit per day) and stock up. The stockpiles on things like that and then other items that are rock bottom prices get us by for a while.

6. 6
    The Thrifty Mommy
    Twitter: thriftymommy
    says:

Same here Elizabeth. In the past, I could count on a saving of 10-20% per item. That is no longer the case and I’m finding better deals at my local grocery stores.