I have made this casserole several times. I finally remembered to take some photos so that I could share the recipe with you.
You will need:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can of corn (8-11 oz), undrained
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- toppings – sour cream, fresh cilantro, salsa (optional)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
1. Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet. Drain meat. Add tomato sauce, beans, corn, and green chiles. Stir in all of the spices. Mix well. Bring the beef mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Spray 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and spread 1 cup of the beef mixture on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 3 of the tortillas, overlapping them. As you can see from the picture, I used 2 whole tortilla shells and then tore the third one to cover the other areas.
(Yes, those are Moon Pies in the background. heehee )
3. Layer with 1/2 of the remaining beef mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. You’re layering this like a lasagna. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beef mixture, and cheese.
4. Bake in preheated 350F oven for about 25 minutes or until heated through out. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting/serving.
*Although I haven’t tried it yet, I think this beef mixture would also be good in tacos or quesadillas. Enjoy!